842 Bethel Street
Architect: Louis E. Davis
Style: Spanish Revival
During the reign of King Kalakaua, the Minister of the Interior purchased the property at Bethel Street and Merchant Street in 1885. Construction of a new police station began in 1886, and the building was named after Walter Murray Gibson. The fire of 1886 destroyed another police station located on King Street, and all the services were transferred to the newly completed three-story Walter Murray Gibson Building.
In 1930, Louis E. Davis was commissioned for the design of a new building in the same spot by the same name. The architecture is similar to the popular Territorial/Spanish Revival style seen in Honolulu Hale, the Academy of Arts, the C. Brewer & Co. Building, and more. Like other buildings of this style, the walls are concrete covered with a rough stucco finish. The Walter Murray Gibson Building also features sandstone from Waianae, eleven tons of Roja Alicante marble from France, and doors made of mahogany from the Philippines.
When it was used as a police station, police occupied the basement. The first floor was used for general offices and the receiving area. The jail was on the second floor, and the third floor housed district courtrooms and offices. During World War II, the first floor was occupied by the Alien Property Custodian.
In 1986, Fred N. Sutter & Associates, Inc. was commissioned for a three-story addition along Nuuanu Avenue. The new portion mimics the existing design.
The property has been continuously owned by the City & County of Honolulu. Currently, the building is home to the Department of Budget and Fiscal Services, Real Property Assessment Division.