104 Beretania Street
Architect: Charles William Dickey (architect) & John Young (engineer)
Style: Modernistic, Hawaiian Regional/Art Deco
The Central Fire Station was designed by Charles William Dickey in 1934. The new building marked a new era of development and modernization in the islands. Like many other buildings designed by Dickey, the massive fire station was made of concrete with a textured stucco. The large Art Deco aluminum doors were supplied by the California Artistic Metal and Wire Company in San Francisco. above the right bay is a tower with a copper hipped roof. Bands across the top of the building and tower are engraved with the same HFD crest as the doors.
In 1849, a one-story building was added to the back of the station. This was the only change made in the station’s history.